Cultivating the “way of water” is about learning strategies for yielding and blending with the one constant of life: change. While training energy arts, you systematically learn, adjust and refine mind-body exercises to revitalise and energise your being. Since ancient times, people have used the Water method to heal from injury and illness, become incredibly healthy and develop the deeper, more subtle aspects of the Mind.
I personally discovered the transformative, healing power of Water method energy arts after sustaining serious injuries from a motorcycle accident in the 1980s. My own healing journey led me to my purpose, helping people gain insight into how to cultivate their mind, body and energy in ways that are effective and efficient, yet safe and sustainable for health and well-being…through all stages of life.
But, above all, bagua is my passion and I dedicate this online resource to my bagua peers, who help keep alive this most beautiful, powerful and profound of all ancient internal arts.
Paul Cavel is the founder and principal of The Tai Chi Space, a London-based internal arts school established to teach Water method arts. Since 1987 he’s studied Taoism, the I Ching, Five Element nei gong, medical qi gong, Yang and Wu style tai chi, Pre- and Post-birth bagua, yoga, tui na energy healing and Taoist meditation. Paul is a soft tissue and injury therapist (ITEC Level 4) and began teaching in 1995 with the encouragement of his primary teacher, Taoist Lineage Holder Bruce Frantzis. He recently published his first book, The Tai Chi Space: How to Move in Tai Chi and Qi Gong (Aeon Books, 2017), which covers the 42 fundamental internal principles of the arts.
Professional organisations & noteworthy accreditations:
- Senior Instructor of Taoist Master Bruce Frantzis (since 2004)
- Tai Chi Union of Great Britain, Senior Instructor
- ITEC certified soft tissue and injury therapist (Level 4)
- The prestigious Sports Massage Association
- Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council
- Certification in HSE-approved first aid administration
- London City and Guilds Certified Mechanical Engineer
Energy Arts teaching certifications:
- Water Method Meditation—Presence Practices and the Dissolving Technique instructor
- Longevity Breathing instructor and re-certifier
- Bagua Zhang Level 2 instructor and re-certifier
- Wu Style Tai Chi Short Form Level 2 instructor and re-certifier
- Wu Style Tai Chi Long Form instructor
- Gods Playing in the Clouds Qi Gong Level 2 instructor and re-certifier
- Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body Qi Gong Level 2 instructor and re-certifier
- Marriage of Heaven and Earth Qi Gong Level 2 instructor and re-certifier
- Dragon and Tiger Medical Qi Gong Level 3 instructor and re-certifier
- Tai Chi Circling Hands Level 2 instructor and re-certifier
Paul has also trained qi gong tui na and energy healing techniques and the Taoist monastic “Single Palm Change” bagua tradition, including learning all Eight Mother Palms of the bagua zhang tradition, with Master Frantzis in private and public tuition since 1987.